Californians for Water Security
Californians for Water Security (CWS) is a growing coalition of residents, business leaders, labor, family farmers, local governments, water experts, public safety experts, taxpayer groups, environmentalists and others that have joined to mount a comprehensive, multi-year campaign in support of the plan to repair California’s aging water distribution system, through implementation of the California Water Fix. BCF was retained in 2014 when it became evident that a political coalition was needed to help push this important project from planning to construction.As the campaign manager for this effort, BCF is responsible for the campaign strategy and overseeing the various tactical elements of the campaign. The coalition has been waging an active advertising, grassroots lobbying, social media and public advocacy campaign to support this important project to fix our aging water distribution infrastructure and improve water reliability, quality and security throughout the state.
While a lot of work is yet to be done, Californians for Water Security has made great progress providing political support to move this project forward. In a little over a year, the coalition has:
- Grown to more than 160 respected organizations representing labor unions, businesses, family farmers, local governments, water experts, public safety and taxpayer groups that are actively supporting the project.
- Built a grassroots coalition of more than 16,000 citizen activists who are highly engaged in grassroots, social media and other public advocacy tactics, including sending in more than 12,000 letters in support of CAWaterFix during the public comment process.
- Built a social media army that includes more than 19,000 Facebook and 2,800+ Twitter followers that are actively posting content, signing petitions and communicating their support for the California Water Fix.
- Waged an aggressive television, radio, print and online advertising campaign targeting key opinion leaders that has reached more than 32,000,000 impressions in just over six months.
- Built a bilingual, user-friendly website that has attracted more than 97,000 unique visitors.
- Engaged aggressively with the media, resulting in dozens of opinion editorials, news articles and positive editorials in support of the project.
BCF will continue to manage this coalition effort in an attempt to get the California Water Fix built to protect the state’s water security.